If there is any one secret of effectiveness, it is concentration. Effective executives do first things first and they do one thing at a time.
Our approach for Focus in the Business Process Management goes by abbreviation BPM. Terra Colligo’s BPM is a holistic management approach that promotes business effectiveness and flexibility on the basis of a set of standardized IT technologies and tools.
BPM is a workflow, process automation, and page flow platform that enable coordination between disparate applications and services, resulting in the deployment of new revenue generating business processes. BPM structure and its connections with process library and process requests.
The core value of Terra Colligo’s BPM is to align IT to business. It addresses key questions like how to demonstrate the tight linkage between IT and business, How to keep the applications portfolio aligned to business growth targets and how to ensure that IT service goals are not disconnected from business objectives but instead create value.
Essential steps of implementing BPM are following:
- Mapping of business processes
- List use cases by application and group use cases
- Document critical business process
- Identifying IT dependencies
- Identify all system cases and systems involved
- Map process steps to applications
- Identifying (possible) Failure points
- Identify all possible failure points
- Prioritize the failure points using Failure Mode Analysis
- Assessing Business Impact
- Evaluate the data impacted by failure points
- Analyze the Business impact of Failures
- Defining Key Performance Indicators
- Define KPIs
- Collect Data needed to Report the KPIs
- Linking KPIs to Business KPIs
- Map the KPIs to the Business KPIs
- Report Business KPIs
Key part of this process is to ensure that the Key performance indicators (KPIs) are not technical, but business indicators. In order to meet this criterion a development path is needed. It begins by linking business processes to IT, identifying business KPIs and engaging them with IT activities. After understanding business value chain, the KPIs can be developed for end-to-end business purposes.
Our approach for mapping out key business processes is series of workshops run by an experienced Business Analyst consultant interviewing business process owners and / or parties who have understanding of how data flows are structured in client’s IT landscape.
In our experience, it is a best practice to focus on interconnections between IT systems. They are typically documented interfaces between applications are key focus point when it comes to managing risks in the landscape life cycle – if something breaks up, it is typically related to an interface between different systems.